- This event has passed.
Road Peace Charity Walk (Littlehampton to Shoreham-by-Sea)
19th May 2023
RoadPeace is the national charity for road crash victims in the UK, providing information and support services to people bereaved or seriously injured in road crashes, and campaigns for justice for victims.
The RoadPeace Challenge is an annual awareness and fundraising event that takes place during UN Global Road Safety Week. RoadPeace exist to support and empower those bereaved and injured by road crashes and their families; to improve the justice system’s post-crash response and to spare future generations from preventable death and injury. As a membership charity, we put victims at the heart of our work, equipping them to support other victims, campaign for change and shape RoadPeace’s work. Our work for and with victims centres around:
- Supporting victims to cope with their trauma, through emotional and peer support
- Remembering those who have been killed or seriously injured in road crashes by organising acts of remembrance; offering support and solidarity to the bereaved and highlighting the devastating toll of road death
- Empowering victims with information and helping them to achieve justice
- Campaigning for reform of the justice system, so that it is fairer for victims and reduces road danger
- Challenging society’s complacency towards risk on our roads
Sussex Safer Roads staff supported this by promoting the charity on a walk from Littlehampton Train Station to Shoreham-by-Sea Train Station, talking to members of the public on the route.
This was also an opportunity to promote active travel and prioritising the safety of those at greatest risk on the road (Hierarchy of Road Users).