Speed Awareness Course
The National Speed Awareness Course is a 2 hour 45 minute Digital Classroom or Venue (in person) course targeted at motorists who have committed a speed offence.
Excess speed is a factor in many road traffic collisions and the faster the speed at impact the more severe any injuries are likely to be. The course is designed to show people why it is not safe to speed and potential consequences to them and others if they speed.
The Speed Awareness Course is offered to those individuals who meet the eligibility criteria as an alternative to prosecution and penalty points. A driver cannot attend a second Speed Awareness Course within a three-year period.
The cost of the course is £90 and gives the opportunity to educate and inform drivers.
The Speed Awareness Course covers:
- Identifying Speed Limits.
- Causes and Consequences of Speeding.
- Hazard Perception.
- Strategies to help you stay within the Speed Limit.
Only eligible individuals will be offered the course – there are no public sessions.
Who can attend a Speed Awareness Course?
To be offered a Speed Awareness Course, a person must:
- Have committed a speeding offence.
- Not have been on a similar course within the last three years or have other similar prosecutions pending.
Can I complete my course online?
Sussex Driver Training are delighted to announce that in conjunction with UKROEd, we are able to offer iNSAC (Digital Classroom National Speed Awareness Course), that can be delivered via a Digital Classroom Platform along with our traditional NSAC (National Speed Awareness Course) in a limited number of physical venues.
Should you wish to undertake our digital course, the following will be required:
- You will need a quiet room where you will not be interrupted, with a good internet connection. Please note that no-one else is permitted in the room once the course has started – however, you are allowed assistance to setup the course.
- You will need a device with built in camera and speakers or a device with a webcam and speakers. Please ensure that the device being used is fully charged with charger and power supply to hand.
- Paper and pen ready to make notes from the course – or download/print your logbook here.
- You will be required to produce Photographic Identification i.e Photocard Driving Licence, or Passport (out of date passport will be acceptable if the trainer will be able to see this is a true likeness). We can only accept original documents (electronic copies or photocopies cannot be accepted).
Unsure about a Digital Course?
There are several different options we can offer you at Sussex Driver Training:
- Firstly, all of our call handlers should be able to talk you through the joining process step by step and advise you on any issues you have.
- You can do a test call with Zoom by clicking this link
- In addition, we also offer a full test run service with one of our technical advisors where we can set up a mock run, in advance of your course and you can be guided through the process step by step over the telephone and zoom.
- If you need to have a friend/family member present to support you whilst joining the Zoom meeting this is acceptable, but once the trainer stars presenting the course you must be on your own with nobody else present.
If you would like to arrange a test run or talk through any issues with one of our technical advisors please do not hesitate to contact us on via telephone 0330 222 8999 (Mon-Fri or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
How do I join the course?
We strongly advise all clients to download the ‘Zoom – One Platform to Connect’ App in advance of joining your course. This can be downloaded from your device’s app store or by visiting the official zoom website – https://zoom.us/
If you already have the zoom app downloaded on to your device please ensure you have updated this to the latest version ahead of your course.
Exactly 48 hours prior to you course start date/time, you will receive a second automated email from us with the subject “Course Information – SSX”. This email will not only act as a reminder for your upcoming course but will contain all the necessary Zoom Joining details including Meeting ID, Password and Link.
Please ensure you check your JUNK, SPAM and PROMOTIONS folders for this email. If you do not receive this email you must inform us inform us at least 24 hours before your course, so that we can assist you, as you WILL NOT be able to access your course without it. You can contact us via telephone 0330 222 8999 (Mon-Fri 08:30am-4:00pm) or email email@example.com.
Failure to notify us with sufficient notice will result in you having to pay a £45 rebooking fee to access another course.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR COURSE
You must join your course at least 10 minutes prior to the official course start time and have your booking reference ready.
To do so, simply open up your zoom app and select ‘Join a Meeting’ and input the Meeting ID and Password from your ‘course information’ email.
You will need to allow zoom to access your camera and video, allow your device to connect to your Wi-Fi.
Please note the official registration period starts 10 minutes prior to the course start time and continues until 20 minutes after the official start time. The trainer has to complete individual registration therefore please do not be alarmed if you remain in the waiting room during this time.
For further information about the course, please follow the YouTube video link below. The video will advise what you need to do in preparation for your course and also what will happen on the day.
Please note you cannot access your course via the YouTube link.
For all new bookings please follow instructions on your course offer letter and register your acceptance of the course offer with NDORS the follow the guidance to book in your preferred area or use the postcode of PO22 9RE for digital classroom courses.
If you have any questions, queries or have any additional requirements you would like to make us aware of then please call our team on 0330 222 8999 Monday –Friday 8.30am-4.00pm.
Can I attend a course in person?
Yes, we offer a blended approach to our courses meaning we still offer in-person venue courses at a limited number of venues throughout the Sussex County.
We run courses in the following venues:
Yapton Lane, Walberton, Arundel, BN18 0LS
3 Harbour Quay, Eastbourne BN23 6JH
Job's Ln, Haywards Heath RH17 5NZ
CRABBET PARK, TURNERS HILL RD, WORTH, CRAWLEY RH10 4SS
Should you have any further questions, you may find our Frequently Asked Questions pages helpful. However, if you still require assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.